Youth Homelessness Matters Day is the only national campaign aimed at raising awareness and understanding of youth homelessness in Australia. On Youth Homelessness Matters Day 2017, the Youth Coalition, in partnership with the ACT government, hosted a pop-up event in Garema place in the city centre which included a live street art workshop/pop up, live performances from young local musicians, and a free BBQ.
As well as the pop-up event on the day there was an extensive social media campaign running on the day with the #YHMD2017 campaign:
- Received widespread community support through events, forums and online
- Provided a voice for young people experiencing homelessness
- A reach of almost 3 million on social media
- Trended on Twitter in Australia
- Received over a hundred media mentions across the country
For more information about the day or youth homelessness, follow the attached media resources. To see photos from the day and other photos from National Youth Week, follow the attached Facebook link.