News from the Youth Coalition
- Met with Australia21 about youth employment and strategies for youth engagement
- Attended a meeting of the Joint Community Government Reference Group
- Appeared at the ACT Legislative Assembly's Budget Estimates Committee hearings and presented our response to the ACT Budget 2017-18
- Presented to the ACT Gambling and Racing Commission on the findings of the At Odds Project Pilot
- Hosted a Youth Worker Practice Network member session on Mental Health & Self Harm
- Attended Youth Mental Health round table meeting with the Snow Foundation
The June 2017 Youth Worker Practice Network member session was focused on mental health, specifically around young people and self harm. Guest presenters from headspace Canberra and headspace Queanbeyan shared a range of information and resources. A summary of the session, the session powerpoint presentations, and a range of resources which youth workers can access are available via the links below.
- Attended Aboriginal Cultural Awareness Training
- Attended Community Development Peer Network Group Meeting
- Attended the ACT Budget 2017-18 Briefing
- Attended the ACTCOSS Peaks Forum RE: ACT Budget 2017-18
- Attended the ACTCOSS Community Briefing RE: ACT Budget 2017-18
- Hosted a Youth Housing Homelessness Forum
- Hosted a meeting of the MYAN ACT Reference Group
Met with Education Directorate, Catholic Education and Independent Schools Association of the ACT about finalising the Student Voice in the ACT Project
The 2017-18 ACT Budget was delivered on Tuesday 6 June the ACT Treasurer. The Youth Coalition's media release and initial response to the ACT Budget is now available to read below.
The June - July 2017 Training and Professional Development Calendar is now available to download.
- Attended meeting with Industry Strategy steering group
- Attended meeting for Murrumbidgee Education and Training Centre Training & Employment Committee
- Met with Senior Operations Manager from CatholicCare Canberra & Goulburn
- Held a Youth Worker Practice Network Member Session
- Met with representative from Youth InterACT (Community Services Directorate) re-shared opportunities and future of National Youth Week in the ACT
- Met with representative from Big hArt project re future work in the ACT
The Youth Worker Practice Network is a Community of Practice for youth workers, coordinated by the Youth Coalition of the ACT. Our next member training session will be held next Thursday 18th May, 9:30 - 11:30am at the Youth Coalition, 46 Clianthus Street O'Connor.
In May, the Youth Coalition of the ACT hosted a general forum on Youth Employment. A number of factors are contributing to youth unemployment and underemployment, including a decline in entry-level job opportunities. In this environment, community services, industry bodies and businesses are finding innovative ways to support young people to gain employment and develop in their roles.
- Attended the Future of Education Symposium hosted by Minister for Education, Yvette Berry
- Met with the Education Directorate to discuss the Student Resource Allocation Program
- Attended a meeting of the ACT Shelter Executive Committee
- Attended CYFSP Workforce Development and Training Sub-Committee meeting
- Hosted a General Forum on Youth Employment
- Met with ACTCOSS regarding future sector development work
- Met with ACT Health regarding future youth-focussed projects