The Youth Coalition of the ACT Board would like to inform you that Emma Robertson has resigned from the role of Director of the Youth Coalition of the ACT. Emma has been in this role for 8 and a half years and has made a significate contribution to the ACT Youth Sector through her time here and in previous roles in the sector. We hope you will join us in thanking Emma for her contribution to the sector and wish her well in her new endeavours.
News from the Youth Coalition
- Attended Joint Community Government Reference Group Meeting
- Attended Homelessness Prevention Week Event
- Spoke at Select Committee Hearing on 2016 ACT Election and Electoral Act
- Attended Community Development Peer Network Group Meeting
- Met with Canberra Times
- Attended ACTCOSS Data Seminar Series
- Hosted a Youth Worker Practice Network member session on Self Care
- Attended CYFSP Agency Directors Meeting
- Attended sector briefing session between community services organisations and Director General, Community Services Directorate
- Hosted Youth Housing & Homelessness Forum
- Hosted consultation run by ACT Housing re affordable housing
The next Youth Worker Practice Network session will be held on Thursday 24 August, from 9:30 - 11:30am. The Youth Coalition of the ACT is partnering with ATODA to host a Youth Worker Practice Network session on Alcohol and Prevention. It is often forgotten that alcohol is a drug - the most commonly used drug in Australia, which causes the most harms, particularly to young people.
Hannah from the Youth Coalition of the ACT and Youth Advocate, Courtney, met with Adam Shirley from ABC Drive on Monday the 31 July to discuss the proposal of lowering the voting age to 16 with the ACT Legislative Assembly. Listen to the podcast to hear the conversation in full.
The Youth Coalition of the ACT have published their letter of support for ACTCOSS' submission to the Inquiry into Insecure Employment in the ACT.
The Youth Coalition of the ACT has published their submission to the 2016 ACT Election and the Electoral act.
The submission is focused on the Terms of Reference regarding lowering the voting age in the ACT to 16 years old.
The July 2017 Youth Worker Practice Network member session was focused on Self Care for Youth Workers. This was a practical workshop lead by Will Mollinson from Families ACT and Hannah Watts from the Youth Coalition of the ACT. A summary of the session is available via the links below, and includes links to online resources you can access. Also attached below are worksheets used in the session to develop self care plans, which all youth workers are encouraged to access.
- Met with the YWCA
- Attended the Strategic & Operational Planning Workshop as part of ACTCOSS' Emerging Leaders Program
- Met with GIVIT
- Attended 5th Birthday celebration for Ted Noffs Take Hold Program