2016 was another big year for the Youth Coalition! We would like to thank our members and stakeholders for continuing to engage and support our work. We look forward to working with you all again in 2017, but first we wanted to share some of our big achievements from the last 12 months:
News from the Youth Coalition
Held first meeting for 2017 Youth Coalition Board
Hosted a meeting of the Youth Homelessness Matters Day 2017 Committee
Attended Leadership Development Training Session
Met with ACTCOSS about Rate Canberra Survey
The Young People and Gambling Project Team met with a representative from the Casino to talk about engagement with young people
The Youth Coalition has released a calendar of key events we are running for the first half of 2017.
- Youth Worker Practice Network Member Training Sessions
- Youth Coalition General Forums
- Youth Housing & Homelessness Forums
- Special Events & Training
Please see attached for details.
The Youth Coalition has provided input to the ACT Government's 2017-18 Budget Consultation process. The submission calls for a focus on social inclusion and equity, and a long term, big picture vision for the 2017-18 Budget, underpinned by the social determinants of health and investment in early intervention and prevention. The Youth Coalition made recommendations across a range of priority areas, including education; mental health; jobs creation and employment; housing and homelessness; services for children, young people and their families; transport; and, youth participation.
A number of youth services are holding end of year events and holiday programs over the Summer break.
Please see attached flyers and distribute information & permission notes to young people.
The Youth Coalition's Board of Management was elected at the AGM on Thursday 17 November 2016.
Following this, the Board members have elected the executive positions as follows:
President: Michelle Vaessen-McLean (Barnardos)
Vice President: Ryan Harris (Woden Community Service)
Treasurer: Suella Jarvis (YWCA)
The Board of Management also includes the following people:
Arianne Wright (headspace Canberra)
- Hosted the Youth Coalition's annual general meeting
- Hosted the 'Great Debate'. Debating the future of youth work and why it's an essential skill set
- Attended Leadership Development Training
- Attended CYFSP Practice Leaders meeting
- Hosted Coomorbidity Bus Tour A
- Attended the Joint Pathways meeting
- Lisa from the Young People and Gambling Project spoke on panel at a screening and discussion of Ka-Ching! Pokie Nation at ANU
- Met with CYFSP Youth Engagement Managers
- Attended launch of The Australia We Want report at National Press Club
- Hosted and attended Youth Mental Health First Aid training
- Co-hosted a BBQ with Care Financial for students from CIT Fyshwick campus- for Gambling Harm Awareness Week
- With a CIT student film crew, filmed a counsellor from Relationships Australia talking about professional help services for young people struggling with gambling