Nominations for board positions for the Youth Coalition are now open. If you wish to nominate please:
News from the Youth Coalition
- Attended a focus group session on what young professionals living with a disability want when it comes to new urban infill development
- Met with Volunteering & Contact ACT to discuss ideas for progressing a youth services directory
- Held a workshop with young people about the INVOLVE Disability Campaign
- Held a workshop with young people for Mental Health Week
- Attended the Mental Health Week Expo
- Held a member session for the Youth Worker Practice Network
- Met with representative from Volunteering and Contact AC
Registrations are now open for Comorbidity Bus Tour A on Wednesday 9 November 2016. If you are interested in attending the tour, please register online here.
The Comorbidity Bus Tour visits a variety of services in the ACT from the alcohol, tobacco and other drug (ATOD), mental health (MH) and youth sectors. The aim of the bus tour is to increase the capacity of frontline workers to support people experiencing co-occurring ATOD and MH issues (comorbidity).
During Mental Health Week 2016, Youth Coalition Director, Emma Robertson, and young advocate, Lizz, were interviewed on 666 ABC Drive with Adam Shirley. They discuss youth mental health and how the community can better support young people experiencing mental illness. Click here to listen to the full interview.
- Opened Nominations for 2016 Yogie Awards
- Held Special General Meeting to pass changes to Youth Coalition's Constitution
- Launched the Rate Canberra 2016 Report
- Published the October - November Training & Professional Development Calendar
- Facilitated a Youth Advocacy & Media Training session for young people
- Met with Chris Endrey re Gambling & Young People Project
Met with representative from Clubs ACT re Gambling & Young People Project
Next Wednesday 12 October, the Youth Coalition is looking to meet with two groups of young people (aged 12 - 25), to provide us with advice and ideas.
From 4:30 - 5:30pm, we would like to speak to young people with a disability, to help us get a better understanding of how we can make our work more inclusive. As part of this, we will form a draft commitment for the organisation to make as part of the INVOVLE Canberra Campaign.
The Youth Coalition held a Special General Meeting on 29 September to consider a motion to accept a proposed new Constitution. This has come out of work the Board has undertaken this year to review the current Constitution with the goal to update, clarify and simply the Constitution and allow the organisation flexibility to respond to changing needs.
All members present voted in favour of adopting the new constitution.
Last Thursday 29 September the Youth Coalition launched the initial findings of Rate Canberra 2016, a survey of over 2000 young people from the ACT & surrounding region. Eight key areas of analysis were included in this initial report. These are:
- Key Issues and Concerns
- Support Services
The full report is available to download, using the link below.
The October - November 2016 Training and Professional Development Calendar is now available to download.
The Training and Professional Development Calendar is produced bi-monthly by the Youth Coalition of the ACT in partnership with the Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Association ACT (ATODA) and the Mental Health Community Coalition ACT. The Training Calendar provides training and professional development opportunities for workers in the youth, alcohol, tobacco and other drug, mental health, family support and community sectors.
Nominations for the 2016 Yogie Awards close this THURSDAY 3 NOVEMER at midday.
The YOGIES recognise, celebrate, promote and reward outstanding practice in working with young people in the ACT and surrounding area. The YOGIES highlight the exceptional commitment, talent and innovation that exist in the youth sector.