The Youth Worker Practice Network is a Community of Practice for youth workers, coordinated by the Youth Coalition of the ACT. Our next member training session will be held next Thursday 18th May, 9:30 - 11:30am at the Youth Coalition, 46 Clianthus Street O'Connor.
News from the Youth Coalition
In May, the Youth Coalition of the ACT hosted a general forum on Youth Employment. A number of factors are contributing to youth unemployment and underemployment, including a decline in entry-level job opportunities. In this environment, community services, industry bodies and businesses are finding innovative ways to support young people to gain employment and develop in their roles.
- Attended the Future of Education Symposium hosted by Minister for Education, Yvette Berry
- Met with the Education Directorate to discuss the Student Resource Allocation Program
- Attended a meeting of the ACT Shelter Executive Committee
- Attended CYFSP Workforce Development and Training Sub-Committee meeting
- Hosted a General Forum on Youth Employment
- Met with ACTCOSS regarding future sector development work
- Met with ACT Health regarding future youth-focussed projects
The Youth Coalition of the ACT is hosting the second general forum for 2017. The forum will be held next Thursday 4 May, at 9:30 am.
This forum will provide information about a number of services and programs which are demonstrating “best practice” ways to support young people into employment and further develop their careers.
Speakers include representatives from:
- Coordinated National Youth Week Festival
- Coordinated Youth Homelessness Matters Day
- Met with AIME to discuss their work in ACT & possible involvement in National Youth Week
- Met with ACTCOSS to discuss ACT Budget Priorities
- Attended ACT Shelter Board Meeting
- Attended Justice Reinvestment Advisory Group meeting
- Attended ACTCOSS Forum on Productivity Commission Human Services Inquiry
- Met with Louise from Clubs ACT re Gambling Project
- Attended CYFSP Agency Directors Meeting
The Young Canberra Citizen of the Year Awards is an annual celebration that was established in 1989. The Awards recognise individuals and groups of young people aged between 12 and 25 years who have made a significant contribution through their personal endeavours, or who have been actively involved in the ACT community across the following six categories. The 2017 winners are listed below in brackets.
Youth Homelessness Matters Day is the only national campaign aimed at raising awareness and understanding of youth homelessness in Australia. On Youth Homelessness Matters Day 2017, the Youth Coalition, in partnership with the ACT government, hosted a pop-up event in Garema place in the city centre which included a live street art workshop/pop up, live performances from young local musicians, and a free BBQ.
As well as the pop-up event on the day there was an extensive social media campaign running on the day with the #YHMD2017 campaign:
Take a look at the National Youth Week Calendar for an idea of the great events that took place or follow the link to browse the photos of the great events that took place. There was a broad range of activities and events to celebrate young people run for the duration of National Youth Week across the ACT.
National Youth Week 2017 kicked off with a festival held in the Harrison School gym. Schools and community organisations brought groups of young people along to join in the celebrations with over 700 young people attending across the day. The festival included live music and performances, stalls from a broad range of community organisations, various sporting demonstrations and activities, and free food.
The April - May 2017 Training and Professional Development Calendar is now available to download.