On 27 November 2013, the Youth Coalition celebrated 10 years of the Annual YOGIE Awards. These Awards recognise, celebrate, promote and reward outstanding practice in working with young people in the ACT and surrounding areas. The YOGIES highlight the exceptional commitment, talent and innovation that exist in the youth sector. The YOGIES are presented annually by the Minster for Children and Young People.
News from the Youth Coalition
Hosted the ACT Youth Affairs Conference
Hosted and presented the 10th Annual YOGIES Awards
Attended the ACT Human Services Blueprint Intensive Design 2 Day Workshop
Hosted the CYFSP Southside Induction Bus Tour
Attended the Homelessness Australia policy meeting and Board meeting
Attended the National Youth Coalition for Housing face to face meeting
Attended the CYFSP Agency Directors meetings
Attended the Crime Prevention and Community Safety Forum - workshop on youth crime
Attended the WESNET Safety Planning Around Technology training
The Training and Professional Development Calendar is produced bi-monthly by the Youth Coalition of the ACT, in partnership with the Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug Association ACT (ATODA) and the Mental Health Community Coalition ACT (MHCC ACT). The Training Calendar provides training and professional development opportunities for workers in the youth, alcohol, tobacco and other drug, mental health, family support and community sectors.
Due to the ACT Youth Affairs Conference running 27 - 28 November 2013, the Youth Coalition will not be publishing an ebulletin this week. For further information see the conference program.
Hosted the Northside CYFSP Induction Bus Tour
Finalised participants on the Southside CYFSP Induction Bus Tour
Met with ATODA to discuss Comorbidity Bus Tours
Finalised YOGIE Awards Ceremony and Dinner registrations
Welcomed Multicultural Youth Services and Canberra PCYC Staff as Volunteers at the ACT Youth Affairs Conference
- Welcomed Rebecca Cuzzillo as a new Policy and Development Office for the Youth Coalition
- Farewelled Carmen Sarjeant as Project Manager for Champions ACT
- Hosted Comorbidity Bus Tour B, in partnership with the Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug Association ACT (ATODA)
- Attended the Human Services Blueprint Taskforce
- Attended a headspaceACT Consortium Meeting
- ChampionsACT met with Civic Labor Club
- Met with the YOGIES judging panel
The Conference will provide an opportunity for workers across the complex range of services for young people in the ACT and the region to participate in and hear about leading research, discussion, workshops, and practice development. We are excited to announce the following speakers:
- Welcomed Hannah Watts as the new Project Manager for Champions ACT
- Held a Champions ACT promotional event at ANU Bar
- Co presented at the Better Linkages Workshop with Anglicare on engaging young people
- Met with Social Housing & Homelessness (CSD), ACTCOSS, ACT Shelter, and the Women's Centre for Health Matters to progress the consortium arrangement to progress policy support for homelessness in the ACT
- Hosted the Youth Housing & Homelessness Forum
The Youth Coalition has made a submission to the 2014 - 2015 ACT Government Budget. The Youth Coalition priorities for the ACT Government Budget in 2014 - 15 are: early intervention and prevention; education; housing and homelessness; and transport and planning.
This section of the Youth Coalition eBulletin aims to provide a snapshot of some of the key highlights and activities undertaken by the Youth Coalition team during the previous week. A few highlights of the work that occurred from 24 - 30 October 2013 include: