On 11 September 2016, ABC News Canberra reported on the Youth Coalition of the ACT and ACTCOSS' joint education ask ahead of the 2016 ACT Election. The report includes interviews with the YWCA Canberra and Courtney, a young woman with autism, as well as Susan Helyar from ACTCOSS and Emma Robertson from the Youth Coalition. Click here to view the report.
News from the Youth Coalition
- Attended Mental Health Community Coalition ACT Board Meeting
- Attended partnership meeting with ATODA & MHCC
- Attended information session for ACTTogether
- Participated in media interviews with 666 ABC Canberra Drive Show, ABC News, and Canberra Times
- Attended meeting for the Training & Employment Committee for Murrumbidgee Education and Training Centre
- Held a Youth Participation & Student Voice Workshop
- Attended the CYFSP Workforce Development Subcommittee Meeting
- Facilitated Comorbidity Bus Tour B
The Youth Coalition is launching the report on Rate Canberra 2016, the biggest survey of young people aged 12-25 in the ACT.
This year the Youth Coalition undertook the Rate Canberra Survey of 12-25 year olds in the ACT. Over 2000 young people participated in the survey responding to questions ranging from demographic information, issues of importance and concern to them, to what they like / dislike about living in the ACT, and their experience of using youth services.
- Facilitated Comorbidity Bus Tour A
- Hosted the Youth Housing and Homelessness Forum
- Hosted the National Child Protection Week Event in partnership with NAPCAN, Institute of Child Protection Studies, Families ACT and the CREATE Foundation
- Attended the ACT Election Party Leaders Forum hosted by ACTCOSS
- Started shooting with CIT student media film crew - to make digital stories for the Young People and Gambling Project
- Carried out interviews for the Young People and Gambling Project
The Youth Coalition and MYAN ACT are hosting a training workshop in Canberra on the National Youth Settlement Framework (NYSF). The Framework is the first of its kind in Australia and this is an exciting opportunity to learn more about how you can apply it in your organisation or role.
The training workshop is 1.5 days of interactive professional development, exploring:
The Youth Coalition of the ACT invites young people (aged 16-25 years) to participate in a media training workshop. In the lead up to the ACT Election on 15 October we are looking for young people who would be interested in responding to media requests to talk with young Canberrans about issues that are important to them.
The training is focused on:
Next Thursday 15 September, Roger Holdsworth from the the Australian Youth Research Centre at the University of Melbourne will be facilitating two workshops on Youth Participation and Student Voice. These workshops are for youth workers, community sector workers, teachers, and anyone interested in engaging young people in being active participants in decision making.
Registrations are now open for Comorbidity Bus Tour B on Wednesday 12 September 2016. If you are interested in attending the tour, please register online here.
The Comorbidity Bus Tour visits a variety of services in the ACT from the alcohol, tobacco and other drug (ATOD), mental health (MH) and youth sectors. The aim of the bus tour is to increase the capacity of frontline workers to support people experiencing co-occurring ATOD and MH issues (comorbidity).
The Youth Coalition has released a calendar of key events we are running for the youth sector for the remainder of 2016.
- Special General Meeting
- Annual General Meeting
- Regular forums & youth worker practice network member training sessions
- Formal training (Youth Participation & Student Voice, Youth Mental Health First Aid, National Youth Settlement Framework Training)
- Annual Youth Sector Awards (YOGIES)
Please see attached for details.