News from the Youth Coalition
The Youth Coalition has provided input to the ACT Government's 2017-18 Budget Consultation process. The submission calls for a focus on social inclusion and equity, and a long term, big picture vision for the 2017-18 Budget, underpinned by the social determinants of health and investment in early intervention and prevention. The Youth Coalition made recommendations across a range of priority areas, including education; mental health; jobs creation and employment; housing and homelessness; services for children, young people and their families; transport; and, youth participation.
A number of youth services are holding end of year events and holiday programs over the Summer break.
Please see attached flyers and distribute information & permission notes to young people.
The Youth Coalition's Board of Management was elected at the AGM on Thursday 17 November 2016.
Following this, the Board members have elected the executive positions as follows:
President: Michelle Vaessen-McLean (Barnardos)
Vice President: Ryan Harris (Woden Community Service)
Treasurer: Suella Jarvis (YWCA)
The Board of Management also includes the following people:
Arianne Wright (headspace Canberra)
- Hosted the Youth Coalition's annual general meeting
- Hosted the 'Great Debate'. Debating the future of youth work and why it's an essential skill set
- Attended Leadership Development Training
- Attended CYFSP Practice Leaders meeting
- Hosted Coomorbidity Bus Tour A
- Attended the Joint Pathways meeting
- Lisa from the Young People and Gambling Project spoke on panel at a screening and discussion of Ka-Ching! Pokie Nation at ANU
- Met with CYFSP Youth Engagement Managers
- Attended launch of The Australia We Want report at National Press Club
- Hosted and attended Youth Mental Health First Aid training
- Co-hosted a BBQ with Care Financial for students from CIT Fyshwick campus- for Gambling Harm Awareness Week
- With a CIT student film crew, filmed a counsellor from Relationships Australia talking about professional help services for young people struggling with gambling
Nominations for board positions for the Youth Coalition are now open. If you wish to nominate please:
- Attended a focus group session on what young professionals living with a disability want when it comes to new urban infill development
- Met with Volunteering & Contact ACT to discuss ideas for progressing a youth services directory
- Held a workshop with young people about the INVOLVE Disability Campaign
- Held a workshop with young people for Mental Health Week
- Attended the Mental Health Week Expo
- Held a member session for the Youth Worker Practice Network
- Met with representative from Volunteering and Contact AC
Registrations are now open for Comorbidity Bus Tour A on Wednesday 9 November 2016. If you are interested in attending the tour, please register online here.
The Comorbidity Bus Tour visits a variety of services in the ACT from the alcohol, tobacco and other drug (ATOD), mental health (MH) and youth sectors. The aim of the bus tour is to increase the capacity of frontline workers to support people experiencing co-occurring ATOD and MH issues (comorbidity).