On Tuesday 17 Tim Shaw from 2CC spoke to Bec Cuzzillo from the Youth Coalition of the ACT, and Canberra Young Citizen of the Year Jordan Kerr, as young people are urged to enrol to vote and have their say at the upcoming election. They explore the importance of voting and the power of harnessing your democratic right as a young person, and the change it can create.
News from the Youth Coalition
- Helped coordinate a forum in partnership with MHCC on "The High Cost of Not Listening: How to Better Support Young People"
- Meeting with representative from ClubsACT
- Held a co-learning workshop with Gambling Contact Officers on young people and gambling
- Attended the CYFSP Agency Directors meeting
- Attended a meeting of the Better Services Taskforce
- Hosted a Youth Worker Practice Network Social Event
- Hosted and facilitated the Comorbidity Bus Tour C
- Met with the directors of Families ACT and ACTCOSS
The Youth Worker Practice Network recently held a member training session on"Working with in the Legal System", with Michelle Bryant-Smith, Solicitor from the Youth Law Centre, providing information on the work they do to support young people, and how youth workers can link in with them to provide one off or ongoing legal support around a wide range of issues. A summary of this session is attached.
Do you work with young people? If so, you're invited to our next monthly Youth Worker Practice Network social gathering of youth workers. Join us at Civic Pub next Thursday 28 April, from 6 - 8pm.
There is only one week left for young people to complete the Rate Canberra survey, which closes next Friday 29 April.
Rate Canberra is a 10 minute survey of young people aged 12 - 25 years, which aims to collect information on what it is really like to live in Canberra as a young person in 2015, and the issues that are important to young people. The information gathered will enable us to better advocate and represent on young people's behalf, and develop a more detailed picture of the unique needs and issues of young people in the ACT.
- Coordinated the National Youth Week Festival 2016 in Garema Place
- Attended the Evaluating and Assessing Outcomes Training by Justin Barker from The Institue of Child Protection Studies
- Attended the Youth Week celebration at Gugan Gulwan
- Attended the launch of Youth Homelessnes Matters Day at YEAN Ainslie
- Hosted the monthly forum about the NDIS and Young People
- Met with a representative from the ACT Gambling and Racing commission
- Presented on gambling project to CIT support services meeting
Mental Health Community Coalition of the ACT is in partnership with the Youth Coalition of the ACT to hold a forum based around Mental Illness with Young People and the issues of not listening. It will involve a series of talks based on how to better equip yourself to support our youth population whilst dealing with mental illness.
The event will be held on in Meeting Room 6, Level 1, Griffin Centre, 20 Genge Street, Canberra, ACT 2601 on Monday the 2nd of May from 5-7pm. Light refereshements will be provided.
The Youth Coalition office will be closed on Friday 8 April and Monday 11 April.
Normal office hours will resume on Monday 12 April.
The National Youth Week Poster and Calendar are now available to be downloaded, and can be printed to promote the events. There is also an online calendar of events, which promotes all events happening for young people in the ACT over National Youth Week.
Youth services across the ACT are running a wide variety of activities and events for National Youth Week and throughout the school holidays. Please click on the following links to find out the details of all the great events that will be running.